Even if you are one of those lucky people who manage to fall asleep anytime, anywhere, you might find this talent is thwarted somewhat when it comes to travel and jet lag. Those frustrating hours spent wide-eyed and flopping, cursing the no longer delightful foreign sounds outside your window and dancing shadows on the wall can be enough to put you off travel all together.
Jet lag does more than just mess with sleep patterns, it contributes to such indesirables as headaches, indigestions and fatigue (as well as cantankerous travel companionship). Everyone seems to have their own solution to jet lag, such as not sleeping before an overseas trip or taking jet lag pills, however, below are some tips for securing the best sleep on vacation, which should come easy in Garza Blanca’s heavenly air conditioned suites with black out curtains and extra comfortable beds.
Top tips for securing the best sleep on vacation:
- A few days prior to your trip, begin tweaking mealtime and bedtimes to match those of your destination’s time zone.
- Experts say that it’s best to begin your trip well rested, so your body is at its healthiest before the approaching disruption.
- On the plane, drink eight ounces of water per hour to prevent dehydration. (Avoiding alcohol helps, too.)
- Get your body moving mid-flight. Keeping your muscles limber will help you avoid stiffness and cramping while optimizing circulation at the same time.
- Recognize your body’s peaks and valleys in energy level. When your body says it is 3am but the clock insists is 3pm, this is NOT the best time to snooze on the beach. As odd as it may seem, this is one of the most important times to keep active.
- Let the new time zone call the shots regarding when you eat and sleep. If you just can’t keep your eyes open, take a nap- but keep it under two hours.
- Consider a well-timed cup of coffee. While caffeine can´t replace sleep, it can help when consumed just before your energy and alertness levels begin to drop.
- Or, try the natural approach: get out into the fresh air and take a walk. When it comes jetlag, activity and sunlight are the best medicine.