Thinking of planning your next tropical escape to Mexico? Baja California is the perfect place for travelers looking to travel beyond the typical Caribbean tourist zones.
Come visit Los Cabos! It is a piece of paradise located at the southern tip of Mexico’s Baja Peninsula. The peninsulas two main towns to choose from are Cabo San Lucas and San José del Cabo. They are linked by a twenty-mile resort corridor of beachfront properties and world-class golf courses.
The Baja was once a hidden gem that has now grown into the desired destination spot for many. It contains a striking feature where the Pacific Ocean meets the Sea of Cortez, known for the famous lover’s beach. Named appropriately as a result of the way the two bodies of water kiss during a storm.
Whether you choose to come by land, sea or air, getting to Cabo is a breeze. With entry points from the United States driving into the Baja is quick and easy, as it does not require a vehicle permit like mainland Mexico. If you prefer a more direct and quick arrival there is an abundance of flights and airlines that service the area.
Los Cabos International Airport (SDJ) is the sixth busiest airport in Mexico. It will continue to keep growing as the Los Cabos Tourism Board (FITURCA), in coordination with the State of Baja California announced that at the end of 2019 and start of 2020 additional routes are officially being added. There will now be direct flights from Edmonton & Winnipeg, along with London, England and including a national route from Monterrey.
The best-priced flights from Los Angeles to Cabo San Lucas are usually found in January or February along with other cities like San Diego.
With the money you’ll save on your cheap flights to Los Cabos, you can dream about all the amazing experiences you will have and breathtaking sites you’ll see, including crystal clear waters, white sandy beaches, fantastic sunsets, sunrises, star-filled nights and stunning full moons.
Whatever kind of holiday you’re looking for, be it tranquility, an adrenaline rush or desiring to unplug from your busy life, you will find it in Los Cabos regardless of budget.
Cabo San Lucas and San José del Cabo offer two different experiences depending on your desires.
Cabo San Lucas boasts many high-design boutique hotels and romantic seaside villas. It has the reputation of being a town with much nightlife, high-end bars, and fancy restaurants.
San José del Cabo is less of a party town than Cabo San Lucas. The ambiance is more laid-back and has that small-town feel. Many artists, foodies, and travelers looking for more culture are usually drawn to San José.
Los Cabos has accommodations to suit every unique style. If you’re looking for all-inclusive accommodations that will make you feel like royalty, check into Garza Blanca Resort & Spa Los Cabos. Located on the Sea of Cortez, it is just 30 minutes from Los Cabos International airport and 55 minutes from Cabo San Lucas International Airport.
This resort features a tranquil and relaxing setting, spacious suites, and a full-service hydrotherapy spa. Distinctly modern yet exquisitely timeless, Garza Blanca Resort & Spa Los Cabos emanates contemporary flare within a relaxed yet sleek atmosphere. Take advantage of special rates and live in luxury with exclusive privileges. It includes an ocean-view gym and exceptional bilingual staff who speak English very well.
Concierge can help you arrange tours & transportation. Complimentary activities are also available at the resort, which is fully wheelchair accessible.
If activities and excursions are your desire, you will never be without something to do. The Los Cabos landscape is bursting with diversity offering endless ‘once in a lifetime’ experiences.
Top activities include luxury sailing on the Sea of Cortez, Margaritas Beach & Desert ATV adventure, off-road runners, sport fishing, water slides, snorkel, sea adventures in glass-bottom kayaks and countless beaches.
Activities You Can’t Miss While in Los Cabos
Many would agree that the following are some of the key ‘must-see / must-do’ items of Los Cabos:
- The Arch – which is located at Land’s End and is called El Arco by the locals. It should be on everyone’s bucket list on their visit to Los Cabos. Words can’t give justice to this iconic and distinctive rock formation. It is a stunning display of natural erosion from wind and water. The adjacent beaches are named Lover’s beach on the Sea of Cortez and Divorce beach on the Pacific side.
- Golf – Los Cabos is a golfer’s paradise. It has become one of North America’s sought after golfing destinations. Legends have put Los Cabos on the golfing map for their brilliant designs and layout. Some of these include: Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods, Greg Norman, Fred Couples, Davis Love III, and Tom Weiskopf.
- Humpback Whales – You can see these majestic animals up close and personal in what will feel like a national geographic experience. The best time is December to April when they are on their migration route to tropical waters off Mexico’s Pacific Coast to calve. Some vessels have hydrophones installed so you can hear the humpbacks’ whale song.
- Sea Turtles – Five of the world’s eight sea turtle species nest on Los Cabos area beaches. It is a touching experience helping release a fragile but determined baby sea turtle towards the sea for their epic journey.
- Tequila and Mezcal Tasting – Mezcal vs Tequila. What is the difference? Some have said the state in which it is produced will determine if it’s called Mezcal or Tequila. The truth lies in what type of agave plant it is made from. Here you can learn all about the extensive history of its origins and be privy to sample some of the finest blends available in the world.
- Seafood – There is no shortage of the tastiest seafood your palate may ever encounter. Caught that day, in some cases within hours; it is on your plate. Cooked by some world-class chefs, you won’t have to go far to find an establishment that will offer a seafood dish to your liking.
- Boardwalk Promenade – This promenade is a highlight. It sneaks past the marina and cruise ship terminal, runs along major shopping venues and provides endless places to eat. You can also sit and just breathe in the beauty of the land.
- Lovers Beach – A stunning beach with clear waters, exotic colorful fish swimming all around, and silky sand. It is not only a place for a romantic interlude but an experience that many others will only live vicariously through the photos you share.
If you are looking for other sites to explore past the borders of Los Cabos, then a great spot to check out is La Paz. It is the capital of Baja California Sur. Here you have the option to swim with whale sharks or take a day trip to the natural sanctuary of Isla Espíritu Santo. You could also snorkel or scuba dive with the sea lions of Los Islotes.
As you head home, your heart will be bursting with lifelong memories and, undoubtedly, you will want to start planning your next visit. We’re sure you’ll be sharing with all your friends and colleagues how to get to Los Cabos!